Thursday, February 17, 2005

YOUNG BASADZI - 'beggars and choosers'

There is still much work in progress with a week to go before the Poetry Evening, planned for the 25th February in DURBAN, which is why you have not seen any new messages up.

I would like to just share an experience with you. In getting ahead in this world of the arts – as a new organisation has presented me with loads of challenges, some more exciting than others.

And perhaps I should just mention the encounter with one of the more established companies. In giving my opinion about the content material to be published by themselves, I came out a little too demanding as I was specific about my needs.

'Beggars Can't Be Choosers' ? I was reminded.

Despite the awkward situations and all of that, I knew and believed that I was doing the right thing. In any case, the lesson learnt: 1) respect, honesty, and integrity GO A LONG WAY 2) do your best, and never lose sight of your goals and 3)starting out does not necessarily mean that you have to accept everything.

AND in life, we have the right to be selective - I am sure even beggars make their choices somehow - you are a beggar until you choose not to be.

And so my advice for the day is: TO SPEAK OUT - in voiced truth, you might realize that your 'role models' do not necessarily share the same ideals/values with you.

So we need to look INWARDS and towards the self - we need to believe in this role model inside, and we might not need to look elsewhere.

Please feel free to email us:
basadzi_inc@ananzi.co.za