Friday, April 08, 2005

YOUNG BASADZI - at Time of the Writer

On the 6th - we launched Muthal Naidoo's book and it went very well - original with the ENACT theatre group acting out one of the stories in the collection - 'Jailbirds'.

I think the hope of every writer is to not only have the book published at the Elizabeth Sneddon at what is fast becoming an international round-table for writers across the world - but also, to connect with your readers.

Can I just point out that I got so excited about this launch (being the first I have actually ever attended) that I decided I was gonna have a whole Indian theme going as I was assisting with the event's programme. I got music by Deepak Ram, I got the punjabi-top, and my black dot - and I was ready for an evening of calm incense-filled aura with Muthal Naidoo.
WELL - the jailbird chick Muthal, who in my mind was supposed to be this 70yr old woman - was in her denim jeans, jacket and funky hat. She literally looked younger than me, and I swear I even looked more Indian than her. Enjoyed the evening immensely- Mari's reflection was so subtly and beautifully written in response to Jailbirds.

Yesterday, the 7th, saw the Publishers' Forum at the KwaMuhle Museum in Durban, which I had been anticipating in awhile. And YES - there is much need for a constructive platform where publishers and authors come together in building a healthy relationship that sees both parties benefiting from the literary world.

The morning programme started at 9thirty - and there was coffee/tea/juice; with a light lunch of samoosas, little sausage things on toothpicks, pastry with fillings, fried chicken pieces and pineapple slices(meant to serve as presentation which I enjoyed thoroughly).

My frustrations grew with the talented writers, who seem to not want to take responsibility for their work; to the unenthusiastic publishers who are frankly telling us that they are running a business. The fact of the matter is - a publisher is NOTHING without a manuscript ( the same does NOT however apply vice versa, especially with options such as self-publishing/internet-publishing ) which makes me BELIEVE that writers need to be informed of the power they hold in their hands (both literally and figuratively). This knowledge, I believe is critical if we are to change the face of the publishing industry in South Africa.

As writers, we owe it to ourselves to first EXPLORE and CREATE and EXPLORE our own niche, our own market - and then take care of that market by producing literature that is proudly home-grown. This will avoid situations where our work is 'supposedly' competing with the international bestsellers at our local bookstores.

Our books OUGHT to be the first and ONLY option when a reader walks into Exclusive Books.

Obviously, this process will require much dedication from the writers in producing quality work, AND some risk-taking steps by the publishers. I have faith that our writers are on the right path and what our publishers perhaps need to do is think 'out the box', see the bigger picture and long-term benefits instead of palpitating about the immediate cashflow. The thing is that cashflow will stay a 'palpitatory issue' for publishers in years to come for as long as we, collectively as writers and publishers do not explore and take advantage of what is potentially a huge market share in our country. Books like 'Da Vinci's Code' will continue to dominate and remain superior to our own publications.

There is a definite need for change if we are to become a nation that prides itself in our diverse literary arts and culture - with special attention to our indigenous languages.

These are but only MY views and reflections and should be treated as such. But please feel free to comment and mail us at: youngbasadzi@blogspot.com