Monday, November 21, 2005

ARTS FOR HUMANITY


19 & 20 November saw us partake in a special exhibition by AFH, www.afh.org.za where 40 women artists - 20 poets and 20 visual artists presented their work in the fight for children's rights!


my sweet girl

it is the vulnerability of your innocence that I vow to protect.
For I value the peace that I find in your laughter
seek courage in the fierceness of your tight hug
am inspired by the directness of your truth.
In you I see myself as you learn and grow
full of opinions and impossible questions
running into the wildness of your own imagination.
Playing is the only work you should know
passionate about living you sing with the birds
sleeping dreams of future worlds.
You make me human again.

This is a poem, which made sense to me and answered my to be a part of this programme. I truly believe that children remain our closest connection to humanity, and divinity – and indeed to the great artist of all, GOD. It is by Myesha Jenkins – one of the 40 PLUS women who have enthusiastically taken part in this project - Women for Children…

if you feel as deeply about this plight - then i urge you to make a pledge by contacting AFH: afh@dit.ac.za

[picture of a sweet little girl at an orphanage in La Mercy- September, 2005]